Sunday, February 10, 2013

A Cookie is a Friend

Words of Wisdom


I love cookie monster. :)
...And, I totally agree with that quote. Recently, my mom had an experience with this. We have a family in our neighborhood who has some challenges with children who have autism. How do you make friends with a child with disabilities? How do you reach out to the family? 

So, my mom decided she could kind of break the ice with a cookie. I was a big valentine sugar cookie like the ones we had used for our 15 random acts of service. I stayed in the car while she ran it up to their door. The dad opened the door, and called his son. I watched as my Mom handed over the cookie. A HUGE grin spread over this young man's face, and he took the gift to go and show it off, when his Dad caught him by the elbow and gently reminded him to say, "Thank You." And then he skipped away from the door. 

My mom came back to the car with a big smile on her face the whole way. When she got in, I asked her what he'd said. 

"He just said, 'THANKSS!!'" She then explained to me that his reaction had been so much better than she had hoped. I think it made her and his day. 

What would the world be like if everyone could be made happy with just a cookie? Just a cookie. 

-Jannallred

No comments:

Post a Comment